The first meeting of the Horace Wells Club in 1894 was held to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Wells’ great discovery on December 11, 1844. A group of Connecticut dental and medical professionals, educators, and business and political leaders celebrated the event with a formal dinner at Haberstein’s café in Hartford. The Club continues this tradition with a formal dinner meeting celebrated each year on or about December 11th.
Membership in the Horace Wells Club is by invitation from current members, and is limited to forty active members, all dental professionals. There is no limit as to the number of life members or honorary members. Members of the medical or dental profession who have done outstanding work in the field of anesthesia are eligible for award and/or honorary membership, at the discretion of the members.
In the early 1960’s, the Horace Wells Trust was established, with funds donated by club president Alfred Gengras and his son, Clayton Gengras. Over the ensuing years, grants from the Trust have provided scholarships for dental students and residents, and for projects honoring Horace Wells.